Medicare coverage requirements vary by need and by type of Home Medical Equipment (“HME”) product. HME comes in many forms and variety. Depending upon your healthcare need, your physician will prescribe HME to assist with your care in the comfort of your home.
Medicare requires that HME be an item only you use and you use repeatedly.
Some of the more common HME items covered by Medicare are as follows:
- Wheelchairs – manual and power
- Home Oxygen equipment and supplies
- CPAP devices and accessories
- Orthotic braces including lumbar supports, cervical collars, and neural wrist splints
- Crutches, canes, walkers and any other walking assistance device
- Hospital beds and accessories
- Personal care aids including commodes, Hoyer lifts, dressing aids or bath chairs
- Blood glucose and monitoring strips for diabetic monitoring at home
- Some incontinence products such as disposable undergarments and catheters
Some of the more common HME items that Medicare does not cover:
- Motorized mobility scooters unless they’re inside the home as well as outside
- Any upgrades inside your home, such as ramps or grab bars
- Lift chairs - The piece of equipment that is covered by Medicare is the motor and contraption that helps “lift” you out of the seat. Medicare won’t cover chairs that use a spring device to lift you out. The fabric, cushion, and other accessories aren’t covered even though the device is built into the chair. Most people simply will pay for the lift chair versus the hassle of going thru Medicare.
- A good rule of thumb, if the item is for one-time use, it most likely won’t be covered. An exception to this rule is if you’re receiving home health care
- Any coverage for these products includes the basic model only. Any alterations, modifications, or upgrades would be out of pocket expenses.
Conveniently located in Westlake Village, CA, please stop by Apollo HomeCare Supply and we will work with you to see if you will qualify for the needed home medical equipment.
We specialize and have a huge supply of Bathroom safety products, Blood glucose monitors, Canes and crutches, CPAP devices, Incontinence, infection prevention (Gloves, masks, gowns, etc.), homecare beds, Lift chairs, Mobility power scooters, Nebulizer equipment, orthotics (Splints, Bracing & Supports), oxygen concentrators, Walkers, knee walkers and rollators, essential oils, yoga supplies, wheelchairs and power wheelchairs and Wound care products.